We like to label people and countries as we love to do in every way. When I met a new culture first, I already had an idea about it. He was an English gentleman who was cold, distant and little bit arrogant. I had to sit with him for a 12-hour flight.
As a 13 years old girl, I found it a little scary and annoying. He never talked, or making eye contact. He did not even smile at the flight attendants. But then suddenly something happened!
As a 13 years old girl, I found it a little scary and annoying. He never talked, or making eye contact. He did not even smile at the flight attendants. But then suddenly something happened!
We started to watch the world’s funniest movie* with my dad. I was a person who did not know even a word of English had laugh a lot. The man sitting next to me laughed with laughter. He joined us to watch! And we were telling each other everything we wanted to tell in body language. When the movie was over, the man next to me was no longer the same person. A stranger became an uncle for me. It was my first encounter with a new culture and made me learn something very important. People were much more than how they look like. You could not have an idea about someone, before gave your time to know. What he likes to do, what he cares about and of course how his sense of humor!
After my first trip, I was not the same person too.
After my first trip, I was not the same person too.
Then years passed. I went back to America to learn English. I had the opportunity to meet a lot of people from many different parts of the world. Then we shared a lot of things with them! Our music, our food, our goal in life, our fears, baseball games where we have no idea, and of course our smiles!
Each of one was only a person like a hundred thousand other people. But I have made them my friend, and now each of my friends is unique in all around the world! (Like the little prince said about his fox**)
I want to thank each of my friends from Turkey and the world. And special thanks to the uncle Matt!
Love,
Dilara ☺
Dilara ☺
*Mr Bean’s Holiday
** The little prince went away, to look again at the roses.
“You are not at all like my rose,” he said. “As yet you are nothing. No one has tamed you, and you have tamed no one. You are like my fox when I first knew him. He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But I have made him my friend, and now he is unique in all the world.”
And the roses were very much embarassed.
“You are not at all like my rose,” he said. “As yet you are nothing. No one has tamed you, and you have tamed no one. You are like my fox when I first knew him. He was only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But I have made him my friend, and now he is unique in all the world.”
And the roses were very much embarassed.
“You are beautiful, but you are empty,” he went on. “One could not die for you. To be sure, an ordinary passerby would think that my rose looked just like you–the rose that belongs to me. But in herself alone she is more important than all the hundreds of you other roses: because it is she that I have watered; because it is she that I have put under the glass globe; because it is she that I have sheltered behind the screen; because it is for her that I have killed the caterpillars (except the two or three that we saved to become butterflies); because it is she that I have listened to, when she grumbled, or boasted, or ever sometimes when she said nothing. Because she is my rose.
The master copy on the blog whic is The World in 360degrees! Please, take a look🙌 👇
https://worldin360degrees.wordpress.com/2017/04/07/being-friends-with-people-from-other-cultures/
Yorumlar
Yorum Gönder